Integrity Organisation Ltd. Gte. (INTEGRITY), a company limited by Guarantee & incorporated in Nigeria since 1998, has a mission to influence the behavior of systems and institutions through the wide publication of ratings and rankings performed on them; to enable more transparent, consistent and predictable transactions that people benefit from, towards a vision of a society that prefers integrity over corruption.
With the support of Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA), Integrity is implementing a 15 (fifteen) month project to strengthen assets declaration compliance and assets verification in Nigeria. The project seeks to collaborate with the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) and strengthen its use of data to improve assets declaration compliance and assets verification. Specifically, the project seeks to support CCB to start producing and publicly disseminating aggregate, comparison and trend reports of assets declared by public servants. This would help stakeholders (media and citizens groups/civic actors in asset declaration) to better support the work of the CCB in making policy recommendations to the Government
OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE STUDY
The Organisation is planning to conduct a baseline study on the Political Economy Analysis of assets declaration forms for public dissemination of trends. The baseline of disclosures to the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) through trend analysis, gap analysis, risk analysis of information disclosed in the forms will allow the CCB and the public understand how for instance public servants of a certain type in a specific geography at a particular level of seniority had significantly more assets when leaving office than they did upon resumption of public office.
The objective of the study is to establish the current pattern in the coverage, frequency and declaration process to the Code of Conduct Bureau, to be able to draw on trends subsequently in processing the analyzed data gathered from the submissions.
SCOPE OF WORK
This assignment is a political economy analysis of assets declaration forms for public dissemination of trends, to provide information to decision makers on the impact of the analytical report on Citizens, and how that can inform the expansion and interpretation of the Code of Conduct Bureau’s mandate. Specifically, the research will do the following:
- Design a suitable methodology to collect data, analyze and present it in a form that serves the purpose of the assignment.
- Identify key issues that need attention on assets declaration and public dissemination of information from the declarations. Among other relevant questions of inquiry, the assignment should seek to answer the following questions:
- What are the most relevant dimensions of the political economy of Nigeria in relation to assets declaration?
- How well does the CCB understand and discharge its role towards assets declaration? How well has the CCB interpreted its Constitutional Mandate?
- In what ways are the interests of political actors regarding assets declaration shaped by their economic, social and political environment?
- Are there specific interventions needed to support and strengthen the CCB?
- What are the opportunities for the CCB to collaborate with other key actors such as the Legislature, Anti-corruption Agencies, Media, Civil society Organisations?
- What other players have supported the CCB to strengthen its functions and what lessons can the Project learn from those?
- Are there pre-existing systems and structures provided by the Legislature that support the CCB’s ability to discharge its functions effectively?
- Why will this project succeed or fail? What must be done to ensure maximum positive impact?
- Presenting a well-written report accurately describing the political economy context in which the Code of Conduct Bureau operates in discharging its mandate towards strengthening assets declaration in Nigeria on the study and analysis with recommendations on possible priorities. The report should be in English language on a maximum of 20 A4 pages excluding relevant annexes.
SUMMARY OF DELIVERABLES
- Timelines: The Consultant will commit to be available immediately and complete the assignment within 3 (three) calendar weeks from the time of signing a contract.
- The Consultant will present the final output in form of:
- A detailed work-plan;
- A methodology of the assignment;
- Detailed CV of people involved in doing the work;
- If there are any tools involved, the Consultant will share the tools with Integrity;
- Submission of 1st draft of findings;
- Submission of final draft of findings.
- The estimated level of effort for this assignment is a maximum of 15 (fifteen) working days. The Consultant will be Paid a daily rate in Naira (N) which rate is inclusive of professional fees and withholding taxes as pertains this assignment.
The Consultant will report to the Anti-corruption Advisor, Integrity Organisation.
Integrity Organisation will use the findings to refine the implementation strategy for strengthening public assets declaration.
RESEARCHER COMPETENCIES, EXPERIENCES AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
Would be researchers/research firms wishing to apply for this assignment should have a minimum of 10(ten) years proven experience working on similar assignments;
- At least a master’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy or any other related disciplines;
- At least 10 (ten) years experience conducting political economy analysis.
HOW TO APPLY
The application should be sent to email@example.com no later than 31st January 2020 at 12 noon. Applications received after this time will not be opened or considered.
Your expression of interest should detail:
- A technical proposal
- A financial proposal
- Proposed approach in delivery of the assignment
- Demonstrable experience in similar assignments
- Availability to deliver the assignment within the period of 3(three) weeks
- Projected fees in Naira for the entire assignment.
- Please quote “Consultant – Baseline Study on Political Economy Analysis of Assets Declaration in Nigeria” and your name in the subject line of your email.