The Justice Reform Project (JRP) is a coalition of Nigerians across the legal professional, civil society and the general public who are stakeholders in a justice system that works efficiently, effectively and equitably. JRP is committed to justice sector reforms and seeks to achieve this through (i) legislative and policy advocacy; (ii) public interest litigation; (iii) the creation of a watchdog function to monitor and combat corrupt and inordinate practices across the sector, (iv) and set standards of model behavior across the sector etc.
In pursuing the above objectives, JRP will engage members of the public and stakeholder groups. For this purpose, the JRP Open Conversation Series has been launched in partnership with Integrity Organization. It has been resolved that an instalment of this series will hold, virtually, once every two months to ensure a continued conversation and awareness of issues in the justice sector.
Unlike the JRP Roadshow Series which sees JRP present its ideas to the public, the Open Conversation Series puts the public first, with its keynote address being delivered by a non-lawyer familiar with the justice sector and able to constructively criticize same. Issues raised in this address will thereafter be discussed by key players in the sector to ensure direct feedback amongst others. A “Q & A” session will follow, allowing the audience share their views.
Objectives of the Open Conversation Series
- To raise awareness and publicly express the JRP’s commitment to reforming the justice sector across the country.
- To improve JRP’s engagement with the public as well as the improve public confidence in the justice sector through constructive discussions on its challenges and anticipated solutions.
- To interface with and engage major players in the justice sector in the states/regions in a bid to discuss and implement reforms.
- To invite interested members of the public to apply to become members of the JRP and participate directly in its pursuit of reforms.
In this first instalment of the Open Conversation series, which is scheduled to hold on Friday, 30th July 2021 at 3:00 pm, the theme question “Is the Justice Sector Fit for Purpose?” will be answered from a Business Sector Perspective in specific relation to Courts.
The discussion will feature:
as Lead Discussant,
- Alhaji Tijjani Borodo (Institute of Directors)
and, as Panellists,
- Honourable Justice Olubunmi Oyewunmi (Court of Appeal),
- Mr Babajide Ogundipe (Partner, Sofunde Osakwe Ogundipe & Belgore),
- Mrs Ayotola Jagun (Company Secretary, Oando) and
- Mr Kolawole Oluwadare (SERAP).
To register, follow the link below: